Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Telling Friends and Family & Being Clear about Why

My friends and family are excited and very supportive of this trip. Mom and dad were, of course, very concerned about my safety and a little baffled about why I feel the need to do this. Couldn't I just volunteer in my own community?

My own community is very important to me and I do whatever I can to help it thrive. In fact, I believe a strong community that gives people a sense of belonging and gives them the opportunity to lead a good life is critical. And, while things certainly aren't perfect, I think we do that pretty well here in Canada - at least in comparison to other places in the world.

I'll keep doing my part at home, but I also want to help create that opportunity for others around the world and show them they are a part of a bigger community that cares about them. Helping others get good, safe housing that they can call their own, is my way of doing that.

Quiet frankly, I also want an opportunity to learn more about our world. More than just sight seeing, I want to connect with people and learn about their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment