Saturday, July 25, 2009

Why Guatemala?

Considering all the places in the world, why choose Guatemala?

The fact is, I didn't really know where I wanted to go. Until one day...

I read about Healthy Horizons Honduras run by a Winnipeg couple who have been helping an orphanage in Honduras . As I read the article, I wondered if this could be the way to fulfill my mission. I visited their website and was so impressed by their work that I emailed Steve and Sharon about the potential of joining their trip.

They replied and said there was an opening.

That's when it hit me - I could actually do this.

That's also when reality kicked in and I got scared. Suddenly going to a developing country in the throws of a political coup with a small, independent group of people didn't sound so good.

So, Honduras was out. But my curiosity about Central America and my desire to go was at an all time high. I just needed to find a place that was somewhat more politically stable and a project with a larger organization that has a lot of experience and connections should anything go wrong.

Meanwhile, Darryl (my husband) and I were making plans to once again volunteer for the Building Blitz for Habitat for Humanity here in Winnipeg.

You see where this is going, right!

Just like you, I put two and two together, checked out Habitat's Global Village program, submitted my application and two days later was contacted by my team leader Greig about going to Guatemala.

And that's how Guatemala became my destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment